How and when the manuscript arrived in the archives is unknown. John Johnson (1776-1831) matriculated at Queen’s College in 1793 and obtained his BA in 1797. From 1800-1827, he was a Fellow at Magdalen College. He received his MA in 1800 his BD in 1807 and his DD in 1821. He was instituted to the rectory of North Chapel, Sussex in 1815 and resolved that it was tenable with his fellowship. [If a living was deemed valuable or profitable a fellow was often encouraged to resign his fellowship.] After inheriting a considerable amount of property from his mother in 1827 Johnson resigned his fellowship but retained the use of his rooms at the College. He died in 1831 leaving money to Magdalen for three exhibitions in Theology or Classics to three Demies (preferably the sons of clergymen). The recipients were to come from Sussex, Surrey and Winchester College.
Some letters from and about Johnson to President Martin Routh may be found at MC:PR30/1/C2/2 fols. 26–35.
Catalogued February 2005