C. S. Lewis (1898–1963) had been an undergraduate at University College, Oxford, before being elected an English Fellow at Magdalen College in 1925. In 1954, he moved to Magdalene College, Cambridge, on being elected to a Professorship there.
Although Lewis’s scholarly work, especially his "Allegory of Love", won him an academic reputation, he was and continues to be best known both for his works of popular theology, and for his fictional writings, especially the cycle of "Narnia" novels.
The main bulk of C. S. Lewis’s papers are in the Bodleian Library. At Magdalen, a few letters from him have been presented to the archives from time to time, but otherwise all that remains are a copy of his inaugural lecture at Cambridge, a parcel label and this somewhat surreal newspaper cutting. The lecture text was given to the College by Lewis himself, but nothing is known about the provenance of the other two documents.
Recatalogued in June 2011.